Before you are discharged from hospital after surgery, there are a number of tasks that we want to make sure you can do on your own, to ensure you are safe at home.
These tasks involve a range of movements which you would do on a day-to-day basis.
Early goals after surgery
We work with you to get you to a point where you can achieve the following tasks independently during your hospital stay:
- Be able to dress yourself
- Be able to shower independently (you may need to sit for some parts on a shower chair)
- Walk safely with a walking aid
- Walk safely up and down stairs
- Safely get in and out of the car
We will also check that you have the required equipment prescribed by your occupational therapist before you go home.
We have some helpful tips on how to use mobility equipment to keep you moving after surgery.
Once you are able to complete these tasks and your pain is under control we can start preparing for you to go home where you can confidently continue your recovery and rehabilitation.