- Working with us
We currently have over 120 volunteers working throughout our hospital from a diverse range of ages and backgrounds. We are looking for a weekly commitment of between 4 to 15 hours per week. Shift times vary depending on the volunteer position and are generally 4 to 5 hours between Monday to Friday, however we do have weekend shifts in our Emergency Department.
Our volunteers must:
- Be over 18 years of age
- Have a strong commitment to serving people
- Be able to commit to at least 12 months of volunteer service
- Use respectful language
- Take pride in their work and appearance
- Protect patient and visitor confidentiality
- Be accountable and reliable
- Demonstrate compassion and understanding
- Be interested in learning new skills
- Be flexible to undertake a variety of roles
- Be committed to ongoing relevant training
- Be physically able to perform the role
- Satisfactorily pass a police clearance
- Where applicable provide a current Working with Children Check
The benefits of volunteering
The major benefit of being a volunteer is the satisfaction gained from helping and caring for others, knowing you are making a difference to someone else’s life and feeling that you are appreciated and valued for it.
Additionally our Volunteers receive:
- Complimentary on-site parking
- Complimentary refreshments from the hospital café
- Access to the caregiver benefits program
- Discounts to hospital services
The opportunities for Volunteers are as varied as the people who offer their time and experience. We work with you to provide roles that are meaningful and suited to your talents and experience.
Our roles include:
- Hospital Concierge (Porter Service)
- Maternity Concierge
- Welcome and Information desk
- Hospitality Assistant (all hospital wards)
- Patient Transport
- Patient Companion
- Administrative Assistant
- Arts Assistant
- Maintenance Assistant
- Flower Attendant
- Café Assistant
- Patient Convenience Trolley
Check the role descriptions for these positions
How to become a volunteer
Registration forms will be accepted at any time. Specific vacancies will be advertised under volunteer positions.
To register your interest please complete the following steps:
Step 1: Complete the volunteer application form
Step 2: Attach a copy of your resume or letter outlining your professional experience and two referees
Step 3: Send your volunteer application form and resume/letter to:
Volunteer Services Coordinator,
St John of God Geelong Hospital,
80 Myers Street, Geelong 3220
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the Volunteer Services Coordinator for further information on (03) 5215 0968
What happens next?
New Volunteers will:
- Be provided with a photo ID badge and uniform
- Complete online learning packages
- Attend hospital orientation
- Receive an induction to their specific department including “buddy shifts” with another volunteer.
This is designed to ensure confidence and competence when undertaking your role.
Our hospital is also supported by the Hospital Auxiliary, a generous group of volunteers focused on fundraising to provide equipment for patient comfort and care.
If you are interested in joining our Hospital Auxiliary to assist in the Gift Shop or other fundraising events, please contact (03) 5226 8888.