Due to state safety restrictions, information on this page may be subject to change. Please see our COVID-19 information for the latest details and how you may be affected.
Maternity tours and parent education
Maternity tours and in person parent education classes have been cancelled to minimise visitors and large gatherings at our hospitals to help keep our patients safe.
New maternity education hub for parents to be
St John of God Geelong Hospital is pleased to launch and offer maternity patients access to a new digital online learning hub, Nourish.
Nourish offers accurate and reliable antenatal and postpartum education and support parents need, while keeping them and their baby safe at this time and beyond.
If you have a question about our maternity services, please contact us.
We hope to see parents experience as much confidence and joy as they can – from your pregnancy, baby’s birth, and beyond, as you transition into parenthood. That’s why we offer comprehensive parent education services.
What to expect
We offer relaxed, informal classes hosted by experienced midwives, providing a safe environment to learn, share and ask questions. Some classes may involve other health professionals qualified to speak on a particular topic.
We offer a range of parent education options for you and your partner during pregnancy which cover a range of topics to help you prepare to welcome your baby into the world.
The childbirth and parenting class is a one day workshop run on a Sunday covering birth and parenting skills.
Topics covered in the class include:
- Normal labour and normal birth
- Admission to hospital
- Pain management
- Non Pharmacological
- Other possibilities
- Induction and augmentation
- Fetal heart rate monitoring
- Medically assisted birth caesarean/ forceps and vacuum
- Estimating the workload
- Normal newborn behaviour
- Crying, settling and sleep
- Prevention of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)
- Perinatal emotional health
- Routine postnatal ward care
- Postnatal healing and recovery
- Basic baby care
- Pet safety
- 2021 Dates: 3 October, 17 October, 31 October, 14 November, 5 December and 19 December (face-to-face unless circumstances change)
- Time: 10.00am to 3.00pm
- Cost: An out of pocket expense will occur for uninsured patients and those giving birth at hospitals other than St John of God Geelong Hospital. There is generally no out of pocket expense for privately insured patients giving birth at St John of God Geelong Hospital, however, please check with your health fund if you are unsure if your class will be covered.
- Bookings: Register your interest.
Places are limited to please register your interest to reserve your booking. If you miss out on your preferred session, your name will automatically be placed on a waitlist for the next session. We are aiming to provide more face-to-face sessions on a regular basis in the future.
The ideal time to do these classes are around 32-34 weeks of gestation.
The breastfeeding class is an education session run on afternoon to increase your knowledge surrounding the positioning and attachment of the baby at the breast.
This class is suitable for first time mothers and second time mother who may have experienced difficulties feeding their first baby.
We also have a Lactation Consultant, which we will discuss with you.
- 2021 Dates: Visit the Bookings link below to view available dates
- Time: Wednesday class 10am - noon / Tuesday class 11am - 1pm (depending on selected date)
- Cost: An out of pocket expense will occur for uninsured patients and those giving birth at hospitals other than St John of God Geelong Hospital. There is generally no out of pocket expense for privately insured patients giving birth at St John of God Geelong Hospital however please check with your health fund if you are unsure if your class will be covered.
- Bookings: Register your interest
What happens in the first few minutes immediately after an accident or medical incident can make all the difference. Learn how to stay calm, take control of the situation and respond in the critical moments before help arrives.
Presented by Parentmedic ambassador and Emergency Nurse, Prudence Fletcher this 2 hour class will give you the gift of confidence as a parent knowing exactly what to do to keep your child safe and healthy.
Remember, your knowledge of first-aid could be vital to your child's well-being.
Register your interest now
If you wish to be on the waitlist for the next class or wish to know more about the classes, please submit an expression of interest via the link above.
Maternity unit tours
Free maternity unit tours are available at our hospital and will help you to become familiar with all the facilities and services that are available.
For more informationContact us for complete details on our parent education program. We'll be happy to help you secure a booking for any class or maternity unit tour you are interested in.
You may be interested in