Welcome to St John of God Health Care.
St John of God Health Care is a leading provider of high-quality health and community services across Australia and New Zealand.
We were established more than 30 years ago by the Sisters of St John of God, who first arrived in Western Australia and commenced caring for the community in 1895.
We are one of Australia’s largest Catholic health care providers, employing more than 14,500 people.
As a not for profit group, we return all surpluses to the communities we serve by updating and expanding our facilities and technology, developing new services, investing in people and providing our social outreach services to those experiencing disadvantage.
Our services and functions
We are an experienced hospital operator with 14 private hospitals in Western Australia, Victoria and New South Wales. Most of our hospitals are acute and we are particularly well-known for our maternity, oncology and orthopaedic services.
In addition to our general acute hospitals, we have three specialist mental health hospitals, St John of God Richmond and Burwood Hospitals in New South Wales and St John of God Pinelodge Clinic in Victoria, and a specialist rehabilitation hospital, St John of God Frankston Rehabilitation Hospital in south east Melbourne.
We operate two public hospitals under public private partnerships (PPPs), St John of God Midland Public Hospital in Western Australia and Hawkesbury District Health Service in New South Wales.
In total, we have 3,374 beds. In 2019-20 we treated more than 350,000 overnight and same day patients. We deliver more than 10,000 babies every year and are the biggest provider of private maternity services in our home state of Western Australia.
We also provide home nursing, including acute, post-acute and community services to privately and publicly funded clients, through St John of God Healthcare at Home. In 2019-20, we delivered more than 89,000 episodes of care.
We operate a range of public and community health care contracts in all three states.
St John of God Health Care allocates a percentage of eligible revenue to community and youth services programs, administered by St John of God Social Outreach.
- Community mental health services provided by St John of God Mental Wellbeing Services
- Support for families experiencing perinatal anxiety or depression through St John of God Raphael Services
- Support for people with drug and alcohol dependence (publicly funded), and
- Accommodation services for people experiencing or at risk of homelessness through St John of God Horizon House and Casa Venegas.
St John of God Social Outreach also works with a number of governments and local healthcare providers in the Asia Pacific region to support them to build sustainable and high quality programs and capacity building of their healthcare workforces.
- Timor-Leste - supporting the Timorese government and our counterparts to build healthcare capacity through sustainable, long term development programs to improve patient outcomes and experience, develop health care skills and implement self-sustaining, quality healthcare.
- Papua New Guinea - St John of God Social Outreach support the Brothers of St John of God, to operate the first drop-in centre in the nation for people experiencing mental health issues, located in Madang.
We provide disability services in Victoria, Australia (through our St John of God Accord and Marillac services) and at a range of locations in New Zealand (through St John of God Hauora Trust).
- St John of God Accord, established in 1953, specialises in supporting people with intellectual disability through long-term planning and guidance at every stage of life. Accord services operate throughout all metropolitan regions of Melbourne - North, East, South, and West and is a registered provider for services under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). Find out more about our Accord services.
- Marillac is a wholly owned entity of St John of God Health Care dedicated to providing accommodation services for people with a disability. Marillac has a range of existing housing properties located in the outer eastern and southern regions of Melbourne, Victoria, which comply with NDIS standards. To find out more about our accommodation options please email email@example.com
- St John of God Hauora Trust, based in New Zealand, provides supportive and person-centred care to people living with a disability as well as vulnerable children, young people and families. The services include; St John of God Halswell, a residential and respite care facility, four community homes; St John of God Karori, a residential and respite care to people living with a physical or neurological disability; and St John of God Waipuna, which delivers community youth and child services. St John of God Hauora Trust is a service of St John of God Health Care and is accountable, via its own governing board and chief executive officer, for the governance and management of services in New Zealand.
St John of God Foundation is the fundraising and philanthropic arm of St John of God Health Care that, through the generous support of the community, is committed to advancing discoveries in leading medical research and innovations in medical technology, helping to improve lives and create hope, both today and into the future.
The Foundation raises funds to support the development of new patient therapies, fund innovative technology and personalised treatment options, as well as advancing discoveries in medicine to better diagnose, treat, and cure disease through excellence in research.
Generous donations and ongoing support from our community and partners make a significant difference to health outcomes of patients, and are often life-changing. Read more about some of these projects or how you can support us today.
All St John of God Health Care hospitals and services are supported by our corporate and group service functions. Our corporate head office is split with most functions managed from our office on Wellington Street, Perth and a small number of functions managed from St Kilda Road, Melbourne. There are also discreet functions undertaken at our warehouses in O’Connor, WA and Wendouree, Victoria and offices in Mt Helen.
Interested in joining us? Search our current vacancies today.