- Our services
- Community and youth services
- Young Mother and Baby Program
Young Mother and Baby Program
Our St John of God Horizon House Young Mother and Baby Program provides accommodation and support to vulnerable young mothers aged 16 to 22.
We help take your pregnancy to term and develop essential life skills as a new mother to transition into independent living.
We offer three stages of support which can each be accessed for a period of up to 12 months:
- accommodation and intensive support during pregnancy and up to the baby's first birthday
- transitional accommodation and support for young mothers with a child aged up to three years
- outreach support for young mothers who have transitioned to living independently.
Eligibility and referrals
We can help you if you are:
- homeless or at serious risk of homelessness
- aged 16 to 22 years old
- at least 12 weeks pregnant, confirmed by a general practitioner (GP)
- do not require accommodation for any older siblings
- willing to work towards receiving a wage or obtaining Centrelink payments
- willing to contribute towards their share of rent and utilities – the cost of rent is means tested dependent on income to ensure affordability for all residents
- willing to fully participate in daily activities as agreed in the individual support plan such as school, work (voluntary), courses and counselling
- prepared to abide by the no smoking rule
- no current issues with alcohol and/or substance misuse.
To make a referral, please complete and email the referral form to [email protected].
In addition to stable accommodation we can help with:
- parent education - pre and post natal care, bonding, security and attachment
- ensuring mother and baby's health and development
- home skills such as cooking, cleaning and gardening
- self-care and healthy lifestyle education such as budgeting, nutrition and stress-management
- social connectedness and rebuilding relationships where possible to reduce isolation
- providing access to education, training and employment
- accessing ongoing community support while you transition to long-term, independent accommodation.
We have two stage one programs in Australia that provide accommodation and intensive support during pregnancy and up to the baby's first birthday.
Bendat House in Perth was the first of our Young Mother and Baby Programs and is located in the inner northern suburbs.
In Victoria we have a house located in the Greater Bendigo area.
For further information about our Young Mother and Baby Program Perth at Bendat House please contact the Support Co-ordinator on:
Tel: (08) 9276 6948
Mob: 0438 065 593
Email: [email protected]
For further information about our Young Mother and Baby Program in Bendigo please contact the Support Co-ordinator on:
Tel:0437 030 433 or 03 5446 9501
Email: [email protected]
Crisis accommodation and after hours assistance
Horizon House does not provide short-term, crisis accommodation.
If you are in Perth and require crisis services, contact Entrypoint Perth between 9am and 7pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm on Saturdays.
Tel: 1800 124 684
For 24-hour support contact Crisis Care:
Tel: 1800 199 008
If you are in Bendigo and require crisis services, contact Opening Doors 24-hour statewide toll free number:
Tel: 1800 825 955
You may be interested in