Our Trustees have overall responsibility for St John of God Health Care. They bring a wealth of skills and experience to the organisation.
The Trustees exercise a range of authorities, including the appointment and evaluation of Governing Board members and ensuring that our ministry remains faithful to its role within the Catholic Church.
The Trustees meet 11 times a year.
Hon Neville Owen AO, KCSG - LLB (Hons), LLD (Hon)
Trustee Chair since 1 January 2022.
Trustee since January 2020.
- Extensive legal experience spanning more than 50 years’ including almost 20 years as a judge of the WA Supreme Court.
- Extensive corporate governance expertise as judge and as a Royal Commissioner reviewing the collapse of the HIH Insurance group and more recently into failings of Crown Casino Perth.
- Current member of Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors appointed by Pope Francis in 2018. In recent years he has been a member of the Australian Catholic Bishops Commission’s Implementation Advisory Group, Chair of the Church’s Governance Review Project and Chair of the Australian Catholic Bishop’s Commission Truth Justice and Healing Council.
- Former Trustee and Chancellor of The University of Notre Dame Australia and Chair of Boards of several independent Catholic schools.
- Association of Ministerial PJPs Member Representative of Australian Catholic Safeguarding Ltd.
- Member of the Board of Governors of University of Notre Dame Australia.
- Adjunct Professor at University of Notre Dame Australia and University of Western Australia.
Rev Dr Joseph Parkinson – STL PhD
Deputy Chairman since January 2014
Trustee since October 2009
- Ordained for the Archdiocese of Perth in 1981.
- Postgraduate in Moral Theology from the Alphonsian Academy in Rome (STL) and The University of Notre Dame Australia in Fremantle WA (PhD).
- Director of bioethicsperth since 2003.
- Concurrent appointments: Adjunct Associate Professor in the School of Philosophy and Theology, University of Notre Dame Australia (Fremantle Campus), CHA Writing Group, Code of Ethical Standards for Catholic Health, Aged and Community Care in Australia (Second edition).
- Awarded CHA’s Sr Maria Cunningham Lifetime Achievement Award 2021.
Mr Frank Cooper – AO B.Com (UWA)
Trustee since January 2015
- Extensive business experience spanning more than 30 years and an outstanding record of community service.
- Current Director of Woodside Petroleum Limited and South 32 Limited.
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia and a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
- Awarded an Officer of the Order of Australia in 2014 and West Australian of the Year – Professions category in 2015.
- Director of Wright Prospecting Pty Ltd.
Ms Danielle Cronin - BEcon, MPPP, MAICD, MACEL
Trustee since January 2018
- Extensive senior leadership experience in Catholic education at state and national level, including extended terms on the NSW and National Catholic Education Commissions.
- Member of the Australian Catholic Council for Pastoral Research and former member of the Australian Catholic.
- Bishops Commission’s Implementation Advisory Group.
- Current Director of Jesuit Education Australia and Member/Trustee of Good Samaritan Education.
- Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and Australian Council of Educational Leadership.
- Australian Churchill Trust Fellow.
Ms Celia Hammond – LLM, BJuris (Hons) LLB, GAICD
Trustee since January 2023
- Served as MP for the Federal Electorate of Curtin in Western Australia from 2019 to 2022.
- Originally appointed as a St John of God Health Care Trustee in 2018 but resigned in 2019 following her election to the House of Representatives.
- Previously Vice Chancellor of The University of Notre Dame (2008 to 2019) and was one of five foundation academic staff members in the University’s School of Law.
- More than 20 years’ experience as a legal practitioner and legal lecturer at the University of Western Australia and The University of Notre Dame.
- Awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Portland in 2016 and a Fellowship from St Catherine’s College (UWA) in 2010.
- Current Director of Catholic Education Commission (WA) and Bethanie Aged Care Group, and a practising solicitor.
Mr Francis Moore – KCSG, LLB and B Comm (Melb)
Trustee since July 2023
- Made Knight Commander of the Order of Saint Gregory by the Holy See in 2017.
- Extensive experience in Catholic governance.
- Chair and Director of DCPF Limited, established by the Australian Catholic Bishops to oversee Catholic Development Funds.
- Chair and Director Child Safety Audit and Risk Committee for Catholic Education Sandhurst Limited and Child Safety Audit and Risk Committee Sandhurst Catholic Early Childhood Education and Care Limited.
- Non-executive director for large Catholic organisations across health, aged care and education.
- Member, Australian Catholic University, Newman College Finance Committee and Sisters of St Joseph Finance Committee.
Mr Mark Murphy – LLB (UWA), BJuris (UWA), FLWA
Trustee since January 2014
- Extensive experience in not-for-profit sector including in governance, philanthropy, risk management and insurance, and compliance.
- Over 18 years’ experience within St John of God Health Care including as General Counsel and inaugural Company Secretary.
- Significant experience working for Catholic religious institutes including in the establishment of Public Juridic Person to assume sponsorship of ministries.
- Affiliate member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, member of the Law Society of WA, member of the Australian Corporate Lawyers Association and an alumni of Leadership WA’s Signature Leadership Program.
Adjunct Professor Susan Pascoe AM - BA, Dip Ed, GDSE, M Ed Admin (Hons), FAICD, FIPAA, FACE
Trustee since May 2018
- Wide-ranging board experience in government and not-for-profit sectors as well as consultancy regarding governance, review, strategic planning and leadership after early career experience in education.
- Represented Australia at the highest levels including at the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO), United National World Education Forum and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- Member of Vatican’s Methodology Commission supporting the General Secretariat for the Synod of Bishops in their organisation of the Synod on Synodality 2021-24 and an expert facilitator for the Synod Assemblies.
- Former Chair and Chief Executive Officer of the Catholic Education Commission of Victoria Board and current President and Chair of the Australian Council for International Development, and Chair of the Community Directors' Council.
- Inaugural Commissioner for the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission from 2012 to 2017, former Commissioner of the State Services Authority in Victoria and Commissioner for the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Black Saturday Bushfires.