- Our services
- Medical and surgical
- Thoracic medicine
Thoracic medicine and surgery
We provide care for respiratory conditions such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and illnesses such as pneumonia, bronchitis and lung cancer. Our thoracic services also include care for sleep apnoea.
As thoracic conditions often affect your breathing, our caregivers are committed to diagnosing and treating your thoracic conditions as quickly as possible so you can return to optimum health.
Our thoracic medicine services
Our thoracic medicine services bring together experienced healthcare professionals including thoracic surgeons, oncologists, registered nurses and allied health professionals.
You may also be supported by inpatient respiratory and rehabilitation services and specialist outpatient clinics.
Conditions that may require treatment by a thoracic surgeon include:
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- swallowing problems
- gastroesophageal reflux
- lung cancer
- oesophageal cancer
- chest trauma
- sleep disorders.
Becoming familiar with the words and phrases our specialists may use can help you feel comfortable about your upcoming surgery.
- Intercostal catheter or intercostal drainage – a chest drain inserted between the ribs to remove air and fluid from the space between your lungs and chest wall.
- Thoracotomy- an incision or cut in the skin of your chest wall to enable entry to your chest cavity.
- Wedge resection of lung – the removal of a small piece of lung tissue.
- Lobectomy – removal of a whole lobe of the lung.
- Pneumonectomy – removal of entire lung.
- Pleurodesis – spraying medical talc or rub inside lining of chest wall to glue lung back to chest wall.
After your surgery
We offer comprehensive physiotherapy after your surgery. This program provides you with a regular schedule of exercises designed to improve and maintain your vitality, chest wall muscles, lung expansion, heart condition and body tone.
Benefits of our thoracic medicine services
Our thoracic medicine services offer a range of benefits, including:
- a multidisciplinary team of thoracic surgeons, pulmonologists, sleep physicians, oncologists, registered nurses and allied health professionals
- access to the latest technology, including specialist equipment for diagnosing and treating thoracic conditions
- ongoing support once you have left hospital
- the highest levels of care and empathy from our team of qualified caregivers.
You may be interested in...