Schema therapy is a form of psychotherapy used to help patients with chronic anxiety and depression. We help you find ways to express yourself in healthy ways so you can lead a full and productive life.
A schema refers to our emotional state that defines:
- how we see ourselves and our relationships with others
- how we interpret memories, emotions, thoughts and beliefs in everyday situations
- how we cope, respond and make decisions about everyday situations.
Our schema is developed when we are young and we continue this behaviour into adulthood. This can lead us to act out in a way that hurts ourselves or others.
Our schema therapy program works with you through group and individual sessions to help you change the way you react in a more positive way to situations in everyday life.
What our schema therapy program offers
As part of our schema therapy program, we work with you to:
- explore how you came to develop your schema and the role this plays in your anxiety or depression
- understand how mindfulness can help you cope better and improve your health and wellbeing
- understand how your mental and emotional state is affected by your physical response to things and how this contributes to either stress or a sense of wellbeing
- learn and apply different ways of behaving to help you recover from anxiety or depression.
Our schema therapy program helps you learn why you behave the way you do in certain situations, and teaches you how to actively change the way you think and feel.
Through this therapy, you may benefit from creating more healthy behaviours, attitudes and beliefs which can lessen anxiety and depression.
These benefits depend on your particular circumstances and require you to fully participate in necessary care and management. You should consult a specialist in this area before deciding whether treatment is suitable for you.
You may be interested in
Where we provide this service...