How to apply
The application process
Search our current opportunities through our careers portal. You can browse by area of work, employment type and location.
You can also be notified about new job opportunities via email by signing up for job alerts.
Once you have found the position you’re interested in, you can apply for the role by creating your applicant login (if you don’t already have one), and then submitting your application online via our careers portal.
This process requires you to confirm your personal details, complete application questions, and attach your supporting documents, including your:
- cover letter
- statement addressing the selection criteria, if required
- evidence of citizenship/residency status
- working with children check, if required
- relevant qualifications
- COVID-19 requirements*
*St John of God Health Care complies with relevant public health orders and legislation relating to vaccination of caregivers across Western Australia, Victoria and New South Wales.
Once applications for a position have closed, the hiring manager will review your application against the selection criteria for the position.
If you are shortlisted, we will contact you. You’ll also be notified if you have not been successful.
If you are shortlisted, we’ll invite you to attend an interview. The interview may be done as a live video, automated video, or in-person if required.
We will contact you or send you an email to provide helpful information on how to prepare for your interview, and the format to expect.
If you are successful in progressing to the next stage of our recruitment process, our hiring team will seek your permission to contact at least two of your professional referees.
At St John of God Health Care, we put our patients and clients at the centre of our care and want every caregiver to have the same commitment to ensuring a safe environment for everyone.
With this in mind, there may be some pre-employment documents to submit – we will advise you what documents to provide as they may differ by role.
Once we have contacted your referees and we have received your pre-employment documents, we will get in touch to formally offer you the role. We will walk you through the process and discuss your needs for commencement. This will include:
- your start date
- terms of employment
- orientation information
- assistance with any remaining background checks, if applicable
Completing your application
- Allow yourself time to complete your application.
- Read and re-read the application questions and your answers. Make sure you have addressed the criteria and answered the questions, if this is required for the role.
- Check any word limits and please check spelling and grammar.
- If possible, have someone else review your application prior to submitting it.
- Have your referees ready. We ask all applicants to have a current or very recent clinical facilitator/supervisor as your main reference and require one referee to be your current employer.
- Print or save a copy of your application so you can refer back to it if called for an interview.
- The online application process may take some time to complete. It is recommended that you have all attachments ready before starting your online submission and give yourself enough time before the closing date and time. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Learn more about St John of God Health Care before your interview.
- Be aware of our Vision, Mission and Values.
- Find out about the style of interview from the hiring manager so you can prepare.
- Review the examples you provided for each application question, and have additional examples prepared for your interview.
- Some interviews may be conducted by phone or video – ensure you have somewhere quiet with good network coverage, and charge and test your equipment beforehand.
Graduate nursing and midwifery intake
St John of God Health Care recruits for our graduate nursing and midwifery programs twice a year, for February and August start dates.
Find out more about our graduate nursing and midwifery programs.
St John of God Health Care supports health care workers and professionals to continue their careers in Australia. International applicants may be required to complete additional processes, including:
- completing AHPRA registration or membership with the relevant allied health organisation if applying for a medical-based role
- obtaining evidence of ‘Right to Work’ (e.g. Australian citizenship certificate, passport or current visa)
We provide international applicants with:
- temporary and permanent sponsorship visas
- guidance through the initial visa process and any renewals required while in Australia
- help with your application and recognising relevant experience
- relocation assistance, including support with flights, sourcing short and long-term accommodation, school search support and information to help you with tax, superannuation and opening a bank account before starting work with us
You may be interested in