St John of God Geraldton Hospital was first established at the request of the then local bishop, Bishop James P O’Collins and officially opened in October 1935.

The land was donated by Mr William Bourke and the original building was designed by well-known priest and architect Monsignor John Hawes.

The hospital opened as a two-storey 28-bed facility. In 1969, major renovations and extensions were added which increased bed capacity to 70.

In the late 1980’s, the hospital’s design was no longer functional and communities within Geraldton and the Mid West rallied to raise $1.6 million towards building a new hospital.

In April 1992, the 60-bed single-storey hospital opened.

The new facility, in which we continue to operate, includes a chapel, two birthing suites, day and overnight ward areas, hospice, two operating suites, medical imaging, pathology services and administration offices.

A secondary redevelopment in 1994 added a laundry and in 1997 a dedicated hospice unit was introduced.

The hospital auxiliary and local Variety Club helped raise money to build our children’s playground which opened in 2002 and the following year we extended our specialist centre to accommodate increased demand for specialist services.

Two family rooms were later added to our maternity unit through Commonwealth Government funding.