Young Mother and Baby Program, Bendigo | Dja Dja Wurrung land
Watch the video below for a virtual tour of Horizon House Young Mother and Baby Program, Bendigo.
Our St John of God Horizon House Young Mother and Baby Program provides safe, stable accommodation and support for young mums aged 16 to 22.
We support you through your pregnancy and as you adjust to life with a baby. Our program will support you to develop essential life and parenting skills and to transition to independent living.
House features and local amenities
- $115 weekly rent - includes groceries and utility bills
- pre-furnished bedrooms with a single bed and bassinet
- nursery furniture
- large outdoor space with baby play area
- close proximity to local child care centres
- bus stop within two minutes’ walk
- library, parks and playgrounds all within walking distance
- supermarkets and cafes nearby.
What does life look like inside the house?
Horizon House Young Mother and Baby Program, Bendigo provides you and your baby with a safe and supportive environment. We support you to develop the skills and access the support you need to look after yourself and your baby and to live independently.
The house is a safe, judgement-free space. We share meals and host regular all-house catch ups with a range of activities to help you gain confidence and get to know your housemates as you settle in.
Watch this video to find out more.
We offer three stages of support which can each be accessed for a period of up to 12 months:
- Accommodation and intensive support during pregnancy and up to baby’s first birthday.
- Transitional accommodation and support for young mothers with a child aged up to three years.
- Outreach support for young mothers who have transitioned to living independently.
In addition to stable accommodation we provide support with:
- parent education - pre and post natal care, bonding, security and attachment
- ensuring mum and baby's health and development
- home skills such as cooking, cleaning and gardening
- self-care and healthy lifestyle education such as budgeting, nutrition and stress-management
- social connectedness and rebuilding relationships where possible to reduce isolation
- providing access to education, training and employment
- accessing ongoing community support while you transition to long-term, independent accommodation.
We can help you if you are:
- aged 16-22
- homeless or at risk of homelessness
- at least 12 weeks’ pregnant confirmed by a general practitioner (GP) or with baby
- engaged, or committed to engaging within eight weeks of entry, in a daily activity program such as education, employment or other skills development OR due to give birth within eight weeks or currently parenting
- have capacity to engage with Support Coordinator and Youth Residential Caregivers to work towards personal goals and build independent living skills.
- be in receipt of a Centrelink allowance or other wage payment to contribute towards subsidised rent
- not have engaged in significant substance misuse for at least three months
- identified as low risk for aggression, suicidality or self-harm.
All St John of God Horizon House residents must be willing to work with us to obtain urgent ambulance cover.
Interested in applying?
Please click on the button below for more information on our applications process and to download an application/referral form.
For further information and referrals, please contact our Support Co-ordinator on:
Tel: 03 5446 9501
Mob: 0437 030 433
Email: [email protected]
Crisis accommodation and after hours assistance
Horizon House does not provide short-term, crisis accommodation.
If you are in Bendigo and require crisis services, contact Opening Doors 24-hour statewide toll free number;
Tel: 1800 825 955
You may be interested in