St John of God Subiaco Hospital redevelopment
St John of God Subiaco Hospital is embarking on a major redevelopment that will modernise and transform the campus into a world-class private hospital of clinical excellence.
The redevelopment will build on the hospital’s 125-year legacy of delivering quality, patient-centred care consistent with its Mission.
The redevelopment will:
- Create an eight-storey new clinical building featuring a dedicated Mother and Baby Centre, Heart Centre, six new operating theatres and Chapel;
- Create hotel-like facilities and amenities with spacious, single rooms;
- Replace critical engineering infrastructure currently at or nearing end of useful life;
- Deliver a new site energy plant to reduce energy consumption;
- Connect the hospital to the wider community; and
- Provide additional clinical capacity required to meet forecast future demand.
The redevelopment consists of four key stages of work, which were presented to the St John of God Health Care Board in 2020.
The master plan for the site was approved by the Western Australian Planning Commission in May 2023.
Stage One is on track for completion in early 2024. This includes:
- A temporary caregiver carpark, to increase parking options for patients and visitors;
- Upgrade and expansion of kitchen and installation of modern, state-of-the-art equipment. Implementation of hospital wide a la carte dining;
- Expanded and upgraded Sterilisation Services Department with improved functionality;
- North main distribution board replacement;
- New service lifts and infill development; and
- A new, six bed, negative pressure isolation ward.
Stage Two will commence in late 2023 and consists of critical “must-do” engineering and enabling works, including:
- Secondary and tertiary engineering upgrades (replacing sewer pipes and chilled water pipes);
- Site wide lift replacement program;
- New site energy plant and site water plant;
- High voltage switch relocation;
- Multi-storey carpark remediation; and
- Upgraded hospital entrance and lobby refurbishment, including new reception counter, floor finishes and digital signage.
Stage Three will commence following Stage Two completion and includes:
- Eight-storey new clinical building with Mother and Baby Centre and Heart Centre;
- Six state-of-the-art operating theatres; and
- New chapel.
Stage Four is an 11-storey medical suites, education and research building.
- St John of God Subiaco Hospital expansion approved by WAPC - 12 May 2023
- St John of God Subiaco Hospitals proposed redevelopment open for public comment - 24 November 2022
- St John of God Subiaco Hospital’s room service menu will soon be available to all patients hospital-wide - 14 October 2022
- First concrete pour marks redevelopment milestone - 5 April 2022
- Introducing St John of God Subiaco Hospital’s new crane, Hope - 1 April 2022
- Traditional Aboriginal Smoking Ceremony celebrates planned redevelopment works - 23 December 2021
- St John of God Subiaco Hospital expands onsite parking facilities - 13 December 2021
- Major redevelopment of St John of God Subiaco Hospital gets the green light - 23 August 2021
You may be interested in...