- For patients and visitors
- Self-funded care
If you do not have private health insurance we can assist you to access appropriate treatment at a private St John of God Health Care hospital through our 'self-funded care' option.
This is a simple process where you pay in advance from your own pocket or with the support of one of our payment providers (available at some private hospitals).
By choosing to self-fund your care you will receive comprehensive private hospital care with:
- quick access, avoiding public hospital waiting lists
- your choice of specialist who cares for you from your initial consultation through to surgery, in hospital and after discharge
- your choice of hospital
How do I self-fund my treatment?
1. General practitioner
2. Book appointment
4. Book surgery
6. After discharge
Alternative payment providers
Patients may also be able to pay using an alternative payment provider option:
- A Patient Funding Platform that can cover medical fees from $2,000 - $50,000, including doctor and specialist, anaesthetist, hospital, after-care and pharmaceutical fees.
- Interest and limits apply. TLC will discuss eligibility based on employment and Centrelink status. Insured and self-funded patients may apply.
- For further information and to get started, visit TLC.
Common FAQs about self-funded care
Here are some answers to common questions about self-funding medical or surgical care in a private hospital.
Every patient is different but some of the costs involved with treatment in hospital may include:
- the surgeon, surgical assistant, and anaesthetist fees
- general hospital costs (inclusive of nursing care, theatre, accommodation,and any other incidentals)
- blood tests and diagnostic imaging (x-rays and scans).
You may need to request separate estimates for each of these costs, and make separate payments.
If you hold a valid Medicare card, you may also be entitled to claim some money back. Your specialist and the hospital admissions team will advise before treatment if you are eligible to claim.
There may be some circumstances where the cost of your treatment and care is different to the amount you were estimated and paid upfront prior to admission. This could occur if your needs change during surgery or if you require additional or less time in hospital to recover.
We will outline all expected and potential costs prior to admission. Any additional costs will be discussed with you, including the reasons these costs were incurred and the options for payment. Any adjustments or refunds will be processed after your discharge.
Many specialist doctors offer a self-funding option for patients who don't have health insurance, but it is best to confirm this when you make your initial appointment with your doctor.
For a full list of our specialist doctors visit our Find A Specialist online service.
Pay my bill
If you have received an invoice for any out-of-pocket expenses associated with your stay you can pay these charges online. View this location's Pay My Bill page to see what options are available.
More information on self-funded care
For more information or to discuss with the hospital, please contact (08) 9382 6171.