- For medical professionals
- For junior doctors
Junior doctor opportunities
Learn alongside our leading physicians and surgeons, experience our state-of-the-art facilities and technology, and become part of the St John of God Health Care community.
Your future is our focus
St John of God Subiaco Hospital provides an ideal environment to grow as a junior doctor, whether you have chosen your career pathway or are still seeking a wide range of clinical experiences.
Our education programs are all about you – your interests, your wellbeing, your future.
Western Australia’s leading medical professionals choose to practice at our hospital, offering invaluable professional networks and a supportive community.
Current employment opportunities
More coming soon
Interested to find out more?
- Contact our Medical Teaching Unit - via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 08 9382 6048
- Register your interest for future job vacancies
What’s on offer
Positive work environment – where your wellbeing matters
- Rostering for a comfortable work-life balance
- Supported annual and professional development leave
- Friendly close-knit teams in a supportive learning environment
Excellent education and professional development
- Daily one-on-one consultant supervision
- Weekly protected teaching and unit tutorials
- Fortnightly journal clubs and grand rounds
- Fully-funded Advanced Life Support 2 course
Meaningful opportunities for research
- Many of our junior doctors engage in research and achieve peer-reviewed publication.
- There are also two ongoing 12-month clinical research opportunities for senior resident medical officers - a Clinical Research Fellow: Respiratory Medicine & Oncology and Oncology Research Fellow
- Tailored term allocations for resident medical officers (RMOs)
- Prevocational programs in surgery and critical care
- Basic Physician Training
We offer term rotations across a wide variety of clinical specialties – giving individual attention to your career interests, training level and rotation preferences. Our junior doctors benefit from a deeper learning experience, with just four term rotations per year.
Term allocations are available for resident medical officers in:
- General medicine
- Respiratory medicine and infectious diseases
- Cardiology and coronary care medicine
- Intensive care medicine
- Emergency medicine
- Palliative care
- Surgical specialties: general, colorectal, upper GI, plastic surgery & ENT, vascular, urology and gynaecology and gynae-oncological surgery
We offer prevocational programs for junior doctors planning a career in surgery or critical care. You’ll need to have completed your Medical Degree in Australia and have/be eligible for General Registration with AHPRA.
SMART Program (Surgery)
Our two year Surgically Mentored Applied practice, Research and Training (SMART) program will prepare you for advanced surgical training.
- Work one-on-one with Perth’s leading consultants
- Enjoy two-year job security
- Receive uninterrupted surgical training and assisting opportunities
- Be immersed in various surgical areas and technologies
- Opportunities for peer-reviewed publication
Surgical terms may include general surgery, colorectal surgery, upper GI surgery, plastic surgery and ENT, vascular surgery, urology, gynaecology and gynae-oncological surgery, intensive care medicine and emergency medicine.
Surgical registrar positions – we offer surgical registrar positions annually and many of our SMART trainees have progressed to registrar level. In addition to our links to the major public hospitals in Perth, we are also closely aligned with St John of God Midland Hospital, where a number of SMART trainees have obtained registrar positions.
CCP Program (Critical care)
Our new two year Critical Care Preparatory (CCP) program will develop your critical care experience and enable you to work closely with some of Perth’s leading critical care physicians, prior to advanced training in this field.
- Work one-on-one with ICU specialists from Royal Perth and Fiona Stanley Hospitals
- Enjoy two year job security, with guaranteed terms in intensive care
- Opportunities for time in theatre under anaesthetic supervision
- Fulfil eligibility criteria to become a CICM trainee
- Receive assistance with CICM First Part exam preparation
- Gain from unlimited research opportunities
CCP terms may include intensive care unit, emergency medicine (via St John of God Midland Hospital), infectious diseases, respiratory medicine, CCU and cardiology, medical oncology, palliative care, general medicine, plastic surgery and vascular surgery.
We have an established reputation in developing Basic Physician Trainees, as a long-term secondment site for Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital.
Benefits of rotating through St John of God Subiaco Hospital are:
- Experience working with many of Perth’s leading physicians
- Daily one-on-one consultant supervision
- Highly complex and varied case-load, including outpatient clinics
- Presentation of a hospital Grand Round
- Opportunities for research
Feedback from our junior doctors
“The work culture at Subiaco is fantastic. All the junior doctors get the support they need, at every stage in their training journey. The chance to work one-on-one with the consultants was a golden learning opportunity.” Former surgical RMO and surgical registrar, St John of God Subiaco Hospital
“My experience at St John of God Subiaco Hospital has been phenomenal. I received training from some of the leading experts in their field and experienced a great mix of rotations across a range of specialties.” Cardiology Advanced Trainee, St John of God Subiaco Hospital
“The hospital offers a wonderful work environment and work-life balance. Everyone definitely makes you feel part of the team.” Former Resident Medical Officer, St John of God Subiaco Hospital
“The training available to junior doctors at St John of God Subiaco Hospital is brilliant. The consultants within the hospital are really proactive at teaching during ward rounds and easy-to-approach with any questions we may have.” Current Basic Physician Trainee, St John of God Subiaco Hospital
For more information
Contact our Medical Teaching Unit for information on our current employment opportunities for junior doctors.