Board members are selected for their varied and complementary skills and are drawn from a wide range of backgrounds.
Chair: Hon Kerry Sanderson AC CVO – BSc, BEcons, Hon Dlitt, FAICD
Chair since May 2018 (appointed May 2018)
- In January 2020 appointed as a Commander of the Royal Victorian Order by the Queen in recognition distinguished personal service to the Royal family.
- Former Governor of Western Australia
- Chancellor of Edith Cowan University since January 2019
- Named Companion of the Order of Australia in June 2016 for eminent service to the people of Western Australia
- Former Chairman of Gold Corporation, former independent chair of the State Emergency Management Committee, former Non-Executive Director of Downer EDI and Atlas Iron
- Participates in a number of charitable and community activities including Chair of the WA Parks Foundation, Patron of the Western Australian Aboriginal Leadership Institute, the Bibbulmun Track Foundation and the Rottnest Voluntary Guides Association
- Held positions as Agent General for WA, CEO of Fremantle Ports, Deputy Director General of Transport for WA and Director of the Economic and Financial Policy Division of the Western Australian State Treasury
Mr Peter Prendiville – B Com
Deputy Chair appointed May 2012
- Chairman Prendiville Group, his family-owned and operated group of hotels which includes multi-award winning Sandalford Wines, Tradewinds Hotel, Pier 21 Resort, Norfolk Hotel in Fremantle, Karratha International Hotel, Mangrove Hotel, and the iconic Cottesloe Beach Hotel and Hotel Rottnest as well as NW regional hotels in Karratha, Port Hedland and Broome
- Former Chairman of Tourism WA from 2012 to 2017
- A Governor and Trustee, Director of The University of Notre Dame Australia, and has been involved with the university since its inception
- Western Australian of the Year 2015 – Business Award Winner
- EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2017 Champion of Entrepreneurship, Western Region
Dr Shane Kelly – MBBS, MBA, MPH, FRACMA, FCHSM, CHE, FAIM, FAICD
Group Chief Executive Officer – appointed June 2018
- More than 30 years’ experience in healthcare including 19 years as chief executive officer at hospitals and health care organisations in Australia
- Previous roles include Mater Misericordiae Group Chief Executive Officer, WA North Metropolitan Health Service Chief Executive and St John of God Subiaco Hospital Chief Executive Officer (2005 to 2013)
- Adjunct Professor at the School of Medicine, University of Notre Dame Australia
Mr Adrian Arundell- BCom, FCA, SF Fin
Appointed February 2018
- Managing Partner of Azure Capital, a WA-headquartered, national provider of corporate advisory services
- More than 20 years’ experience in providing advice across mergers and acquisitions, financing and restructuring
- Experience in organisational transformation across a range of industries including health, technology, construction, investment and property development
- A Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia and New Zealand and a Senior Fellow of the Financial Services Institute of Australasia
- Board Member of the University of Notre Dame Australia.
Dr Julie Caldecott – MBBS, MBA
Appointed January 2015
- More than 20 years’ experience as a consultant to the public and private sectors, with a focus on consumer goods and health, for Boston Consulting Group (BCG) as a Director and Partner until 2011
- Trained as a medical practitioner prior to joining BCG and has an MBA from Melbourne Business School, University of Melbourne
- Director Victorian Major Transport Infrastructure Board and Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority
- Chair Blue Cross Aged Care
- Previous Board memberships include non-executive directorships at the Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, the Transport Accident Commission, Victoria and the Institute for Safety, Compensation and Recovery Research.
Mr Justin Carroll – Bcom, FCA
Appointed January 2015
- Partner of PwC Australia’s Perth office and member of PwC Australia’s Governance Board. He has more than 28 years’ experience in the provision of external audit, due diligence and advisory services
- A Governor and Director of The University of Notre Dame Australia (UNDA) and chair of UNDA’s Finance, Risk and Audit Committee
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, a registered Company Auditor and holds a Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting and Finance from the University of Western Australia.
Assoc Prof Rosanna Capolingua – MB BS, FAMA, FAICD
Appointed January 2010
- Career built in general medical practice
- Involved in medical education and professional development, and medical ethics having served on medical and Government ethics committees
- Current positions: Principal of Floreat Medical, Chair of the WA Immunisation Strategy Committee, Deputy Chair of the WA North Metropolitan Health Service and Chair of its Quality and Safety Committee, Member of the Alcohol and other Drugs Advisory Board of the Mental Health commission, Chair of AMA (WA) Services Pty Ltd, Medical Director of the AMA (WA) Youth Foundation, member of the Board of AMA (WA).
- Past Positions: Federal President of the Australian Medical Association, State President of AMA (WA) , Chair of Governing Council Child and Adolescent Health Services, Chair of Australian Medical Publishing Company, Board Member of Medical Defence Australia, Board Member of UWA Raine Foundation, member of the Board of Governors of The University of Notre Dame, Australia.
Mr Jack de Groot - BA
Appointed November 2016
- Chief Executive Officer of St Vincent de Paul Society NSW, one of the largest Social Service Agencies in NSW specialising in homelessness and disability services
- Previously Chief Executive Officer of Caritas Australia, and the Group Leader of Mission at St Vincent's Health Australia
- Chair of Implementation Advisory Group and member of Board of Governors of The University of Notre Dame
- Previous board memberships include Chair of Jesuit Mission, Deputy Chair of Catholic Social Service Australia, St John of God Health Care, Uniya, One World Centre, Act for Peace, Companions Volunteer Communities, Edmund Rice Centre, Australian Catholic Social Justice Council, Catholic Social Services Victoria, The Australian AIDS Fund.
Dr Michael Levitt – MBBS, FRACS
Appointed January 2016
- Member of clinical staff at St John of God Subiaco Hospital since 1990, including as a member of its Medical Advisory Committee for 13 years (four as chairman)
- St John of God Subiaco Hospital Director of Medical Services from 2005 to 2013
- Member of clinical staff at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital where he held various senior roles from 1990 to 2005
- Clinician Member Medical Board of Western Australia 2016 to present
- Chief Medical Officer of Western Australia (appointed October 2018).
Mr James McMahon - MBA
Appointed July 2017
- Previous experience in the public and private sectors, including as the Commissioner for the Department of Corrective Services in Western Australia and advising organisations on strategy, operations, risk, governance and management
- 24 years’ experience in the Australian Defence Force, including holding roles as Commanding Officer of the Special Air Service Regiment (SAS) and SAS Squadron Commander. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross and the Distinguished Service Medal
- Current Chief Operating Officer Australian Capital Equity
- Board member of the SAS Resources Trust Board and the Australian War Memorial Board
- Former West Coast Eagles Football Club board member
- Ambassador for The Fathering Project, Advisor Finance Committee RSLWA
- 2019 Western Australian of the Year
Dr Mark O’Brien – MBBS, FRACGP, FACRRM, AFCHSM, GAICD, CHM, AICGG
Appointed January 2020
- Associate Fellow and Programme Director, Oxford Healthcare Leadership Programme, Saïd Business School, Oxford University
- Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Business, Economics and Law, University of Queensland
- More than 30 years’ experience in the healthcare industry, and an expert consultant in leadership, culture, safety and quality and clinical governance
- Former Medical Director and co-founder of the Cognitive Institute, Australia and International Program Director for Education at the Medical Protection Society, the world’s largest medical indemnity organisation.
- Experienced medical practitioner and clinician
- Recipient of the Queensland 2002 Hunt and Hunt Inaugural Award for Healthcare Leadership, and the 2016 Queensland President’s Award by the Australian College of Health Service Management for services to health care