- Working with us
- Graduate nursing jobs
Graduate nursing jobs
Graduate nurses and midwives can expect a rewarding and varied first year of practice with St John of God Health Care.
Our hospitals offer graduate nurses and midwives in Western Australia, Victoria and New South Wales a range of exciting learning opportunities within a supportive environment. View the graduate nursing program brochure.
Our Graduate Nursing Program and Graduate Midwife Program aim to give you, as a first year nurse, the ability to be able to
- deliver safe, quality patient care in line with National Standards and nursing standards for practice and policy
- be agile, confident, self-aware and resilient caregivers
- display professional behaviours in line with St John of God Health Care Mission and Values
As one of Australia's largest health care providers, we offer graduate nurses and midwives so much more than a 12-month graduate program. You will also get:
- A permanent contract, competitive salary and a range of employee benefits, including salary packaging.
- Access to exciting and innovative learning and development opportunities, designed to help support and prepare you for working life beyond your graduate program.
- National graduate nurse and midwife programs using virtual classrooms allowing you access to online learning resources from anywhere and engage with other graduates across multiple hospitals
- Small group coaching sessions
- Exposure to a range of clinical rotations and diverse pathways to practice, including maternity, paediatrics, mental health, emergency departments and medical and surgical specialties.
- Opportunity to develop, grow and advance your career through scholarships and training in the future
- A comprehensive orientation program followed by ongoing academic and intensive clinical support
- Opportunity to participate in nursing and midwifery research
Applications for graduate nursing
We recruit for our graduate nursing and midwifery programs twice a year, for February and August start dates.
Applications for our graduate programs starting in early 2024 will open between June and September 2023.
Register your interest for updates
Please register your interest to hear more about our graduate programs, including key dates for application intakes.
Find out what to expect when you apply for a job with us.
St John of God Health Care usually recruits twice a year for graduate nursing jobs. Recruitment opens in June/July/August for a program commencing in February the following year and then again in February/March for a program starting in July.
Be notified via email about key dates for applications and recruitment.
We offer roles across registered nursing, enrolled nursing and registered midwifery in most of our hospitals in Victoria, Western Australia and New South Wales.
When applications open, we will list our current opportunities on the graduate nursing jobs page on our website.
To apply for a role, you will need to create an account (if you don't have one already) and submit your application online via our careers portal. This process requires you to confirm your personal details and attach supporting documents, including
- cover letter
- statement addressing the selection criteria
- evidence of citizenship/ residency status
- academic transcript
- clinical placement report
- COVID-19 vaccination records*
*All caregivers employed by St John of God Health Care are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to fulfil the requirements of the role.
Once applications have closed, the hiring manager will review your application against the selection criteria for our graduate programs.
If you are shortlisted, our team will contact you. You will also be notified if you are not successful.
If you are shortlisted, you’ll be asked by our team to complete an automated interview. After another round of shortlisting, you may be asked to attend an additional interview, either in-person or via live video. We will also ask you to nominate your hospital preference.
We’ll let you know how to best prepare for your interviews and what to expect.
At St John of God Health Care, we put our patients and clients at the centre of our care and want every caregiver to have the same commitment to ensuring a safe environment for everyone who walks through our doors.
With this in mind, there may be some pre-employment documents to submit, however, we will advise you if and what documents we need.
Once we have contacted your referees and we have received your pre-employment documents, we will get in touch to formally offer you the role. This will include
- start date
- terms of employment
- orientation information
- Read and re-read the application questions and your answers. Make sure you have addressed the criteria/answered the questions.
- Print or save your application so you can refer to it if called for an interview.
- Review your examples for each application question and have additional examples prepared for interview.
- Be aware of Our Mission and Values.
- Check any word limits and please check spelling and grammar.
- If possible, have someone else review your application prior to submitting it.
Allow time to complete your application
The online application process may take some time to complete. It is recommended that candidates have all attachments ready before commencing their online application and submit the application before the closing date and time. Do not leave it to the last hour before applications close as late applications will not be accepted.
Additionally, we encourage you to have your referees ready. We ask all applicants to have a current or very recent clinical facilitator/supervisor as your main reference and require one referee to be your current employer.