- Our services
- Medical and surgical
Endocrinology is the diagnosis and treatment of diseases related to the endocrine system. This includes hormones, and the glands and tissues that produce hormones.
Our endocrinologists work in consultation with your general practitioner (GP) and a multidisciplinary team to diagnose and treat hormonal disorders.
As endocrine conditions can affect many aspects of your wellbeing, we provide care that considers your emotional and psychological health as well as your surgical and medical needs. Our caregivers are on hand to answer any questions you may have.
Our endocrinology services
Our endocrinology service works with you to restore the balance of hormones within your body. Medical and allied health professionals work together to ensure positive outcomes for you and your family.
You may be referred to an endocrinologist by another specialist or your GP as conditions that affect a particular part of the body, for example the pancreas, ovaries or testes, will often also affect the endocrine system.
Conditions that may require treatment by an endocrinologist include:
- excessive or insufficient production of hormones
- polycystic ovary syndrome
- adrenal disorders
- thyroid disorders, including thyroid cancer
- hypothalamic and pituitary gland disorders, including brain tumours
- metabolic disorders
- puberty disorders.
What to expect
On your first visit, the endocrinologist will ask you a number of questions to help diagnose the problem. You may be asked about the following:
- previous hormonal problems and family history
- allergies and other medical conditions
- diet and lifestyle.
Hormones can affect different systems throughout the body, so you may be asked about things that, to you, seem unrelated.
The endocrinologist may also:
- take your pulse and check your blood pressure
- inspect your skin, hair, teeth and mouth
- take a blood or urine sample.
Benefits of our endocrinology services
Our endocrinology services can assist and benefit you in a number of ways:
- diagnosis and treatment of endocrine system and hormone disorders, including less common conditions
- a patient-centred approach to diagnosis and management
- a holistic approach that includes coordinating with your GP and providing access to allied health professionals
- a focus on educating patients to understand their condition.
You may be interested in
Where we provide this service...