We have set ourselves the strategic intent “to be the best performing health care organisation in Australia by 2025”. To meet this goal and ensure the health and wellbeing of our communities is improved, we are developing an environmentally sustainable future at all of our facilities.
St John of God Health Care’s Environmental Sustainability Strategy 2022 to 2025 sets our targets to reduce emissions and guides how we will improve all areas of our practices to do this and become a more environmentally sustainable organisation.
A key focus of this strategy is achieving:
- a minimum 50 percent reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2030
- net zero emissions by 2050
The strategy builds on previous sustainability strategies and work of our caregivers over many years. It comprises four core areas:
Leadership and culture
- Provide leadership that promotes an environmentally aware culture
- Improve performance against environmental target areas
- Identify climate change impacts – services and assets;
- Demonstrate continuous improvement through measuring, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of environmental performance.
The health of our environment is linked to the health of our community.
As a Catholic health care provider, St John of God Health Care has an enduring responsibility to demonstrate strong resources stewardship, including in relation to environmental resources and our impact on the environment. Our responsibility as a health care leader includes addressing environmental and climate change impacts.
Our Environmental Sustainability Strategy 2022 to 2025 demonstrates the strong commitment from St John of God Health Care Trustees, Board and caregivers, and is a call to action as we continue to improve our performance in this important area.