The safe home you need. The life you want.
More than just accommodation or care for people at risk of homelessness or mental health challenges, at Casa Venegas we provide a safe, stable home and the time and support you need to recover and rebuild your life. The life you want.
From looking after your mental and physical wellbeing to dealing with everyday life to reconnecting with family to securing a permanent home, we’ll work with you to understand what you want to achieve. Then we’ll help you develop the skills and access the support you need to not just cope but to move on.
Our accommodation and support service helps people with mental health issues who are homeless transition to independent living through a trauma informed, recovery-based model.
We provide independence, improved quality of life and dignity by:
- offering a choice of safe and affordable temporary housing options across Sydney’s south west and inner west
- regular visits from your appointed caregiver who will support you with goal setting and discuss your individual needs
- offering support to link in with appropriate health services and enhance your wellbeing
- assistance to navigate government services including Centrelink, Housing and NDIS and advocating for you if required so you can obtain necessary supports and entitlements
- encouragement to engage in vocational, recreational and social opportunities
- instilling a sense of hope by offering the means to transition to independent living and connect with your community.
You have access to:
- fully furnished safe and affordable housing while we assist you to find your permanent home
- support to meet your personal goals
- support to develop independence and life skills
- assistance creating other connections to help you find employment, join social activities and become part of your community
- assistance coordinating your healthcare needs through case managers and GPs
- after hours on-call assistance.
Our Community Services Charter explains your rights and responsibilities, and what you can expect, when engaging with our services.
Our Casa Venegas service is named after John of God, who ministered to the sick in Granada, Spain in the 16th century. He would shelter at night inside the vestibule of wealthy resident Don Miguel’s home called Casa Venegas. John of God felt he could not accept Don Miguel’s hospitality and leave the poor and sick without shelter, so he invited some of those people to share his good fortune and shelter with him in the Casa Venegas entrance. After this experience, John of God went on to found his hospitals. Find out more about our name.
Advice and support for people caring for others
We understand that caring for people who are experiencing mental health issues can be overwhelming.
We’ve got some advice on how to care for yourself, how to seek professional help and additional information.
13 Grantham Street
Burwood, NSW 2134
Tel: (02) 9715 9231
Email: [email protected]
In 2020, St John of God Social Outreach was awarded full accreditation against the QIC Health and Community Services Standards, with accreditation renewed in 2023, demonstrating our commitment to providing quality services that are best practice, driven by effective systems and processes that support our clients’ positive experience and achieving better outcomes for everyone we serve.
You may be interested in