Casa Venegas provides medium term accommodation to people with mental health issues in western and inner Sydney.
People with mental health issues are one of the most disadvantage groups in society and make up a big part of our homeless population.
Our service helps people with mental health issues who are homeless transition to independent living through a recovery based framework.
As a resident you live in community support houses and one bedroom units in western and inner Sydney.
If you need high support you may receive full board and lodgings, while others have lower levels of support to meet their needs.
Through regular visits from our caregivers, you are assisted to improve your ability to live independently within the community.
We provide independence, improved quality of life and dignity by:
- treating you as an individual
- providing you your own room and respecting your privacy
- providing recreational, vocational and social opportunities
- offering support and assistance when required
- providing professional support and advocacy regarding your entitlements
- instilling a sense of hope through structure support services and role models
- offering the means to transition to independent living.
You have access to:
- 24-hour on call assistance
- daily living assistance
- meal preparation
- personal care
- household budgeting
- assistance coordinating your healthcare needs through case managers and GPs.
Our Casa Venegas service is named after John of God who ministered to the sick in Granada, Spain in the 16th century.
He would shelter at night inside the vestibule of wealthy resident Don Miguel’s home called Casa Venegas.
John of God felt he could not accept Don Miguel’s hospitality and leave the poor and sick without shelter, so he invited some of those people to share his good fortune and shelter with him in the Casa Venegas entrance.
After this experience, John of God went on to found his hospitals.
Casa Venegas Outreach Services
13 Grantham Street
Burwood, NSW 2134
Tel: (02) 9715 9200
Fax: (02) 9715 9228
Where we provide this service...
You may be interested in