During your pregnancy
Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) precautions
As a part of our coronavirus (COVID-19) management plans and advice from authorities, we are undertaking a number of precautions to help keep people within our hospitals and facilities safe from harm.
We ask that our patients have only one designated visitor for the duration of their stay, and that no other visitors, access our hospital during this time.
If you are the designated visitor and you are feeling at all unwell, please reconsider your visit to help protect the more vulnerable in our facilities.
This decision has been made in the best interests of you, your family, all our patients and caregivers.
Thank you in advance for your support of this.
Maternity tours and parent education classes
Maternity tours and parent education classes have been cancelled to minimise visitors and large gatherings at our hospitals to help keep our patients safe.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
If you have a question about our maternity services, please contact us.
Please read our latest advice about what to do if you have an upcoming admission or want to visit someone in hospital before coming to our hospital.
We are here to support you and provide the information you need to know about what to expect in the weeks and months ahead when you are planning a pregnancy or in the early stage of pregnancy.
Our services during your pregnancy include maternity ward tours, parent education classes and a simple on My Admission booking process.
Our parent education classes give you all the information you need at whatever stage of your pregnancy. Our classes include:
- Preparation for parenthood - ideal if you are planning a pregnancy or are in the early stages of pregnancy
- Preparation for childbirth - a four-week course to prepare you for your new baby, we recommend this class for first-time parents
- Fast-track program - an alternative to the four-week course, hosted as a one-day workshop
- Refresher class - a short refresher class if you already have children
- Breastfeeding and settling class - a dedicated class, ideal if you are concerned about breastfeeding.
All classes can be booked online through My Admission.
Booking your hospital admission
If you have chosen to give birth at St John of God Murdoch Hospital, you are able to book your hospital admission online through My Admission.
Through My Admission you can provide all relevant medical history as well as your hospital stay preferences and book and pay for your parent education classes.
Telephone support for maternity questions or concerns
When you choose to give birth at St John of God Murdoch Hospital, you can call our maternity unit and speak to a midwife who can answer any pregnancy-related questions or concerns you may have.
We ask you to call us if you:
- have any concerns about your pregnancy
- think you are in labour
- experience any blood loss from your vaginal area or your waters break
- have a severe headache or blurred vision
- experience intense abdominal pain
- noticed any reduced baby movements.
Tel: (08) 9438 9700.
Want to find out more?
You may be interested in