- For patients and visitors
- Self-funded care
- Murdoch helpline
- Getting here and parking
- Room service at Murdoch
- Benefits of private health care
- Visitor information
- My Admission
- Pay my bill
- Patient information seminars
- Pastoral services
- Patient FAQs
- Rights and responsibilities
- Information for boarders
- Veterans' affairs
- Quality of care
- Contact us
If you do not have private health insurance, you can access treatment in our Hospital through our 'self-funded care' option.
This is a simple process where you pay in advance from your own pocket or via a payment plan. (direct to ‘payment plans’ common question and answer, below)
By choosing to self-fund, you will receive comprehensive care at St John of God Murdoch Hospital, with:
- Quick access, avoiding public hospital waiting lists; and
- Your choice of specialist who cares for you from your initial consultation through to surgery, in hospital and after discharge.
Self-funded hospital packages
Giving you the upfront certainty of one agreed price for your procedure.
We have worked with the following specialists to keep our Self-funded Hospital Package costs as low as possible. These Packages only apply to the specialists listed below.
Please note – Your suitability for this Package offering is at the specialist’s discretion, and you will need a GP referral for your initial consult.
Specialist: Dr Ruth Blackham
Package cost: $21,499.00
Ear, Nose and ThroatProcedures: Removal of tonsils, removal of adenoids, middle ear insertion of tube (including paediatrics) Specialist: Dr George Sim Package cost: Contact specialist
GastroenterologyProcedures: Colonoscopy, gastroscopy, colonoscopy with polypectomy Specialist: Mr Derek Chen, Dr Eng Gan, Dr Simon Hazeldine, Dr William Tjhin, Dr Bindu Kunjuraman Package cost: Contact specialist
Procedures: Hysteroscopy with endometrial biopsy, Hysteroscopy with polypectomy
Specialist: Dr Jason Chin
Package cost: Contact specialist
Procedures: Varicose veins
Specialist: Dr Gregory Then
Package cost: Contact specialist
More information on self-funded care
Please contact the St John of God Murdoch Hospital helpline.
Tel: 08 9428 8838
Common questions about self-funded care
See your general practitioner (GP) and get a referral to see the specialist of your choice.
Book an appointment with your specialist and check that they offer self-funding.
Request up-front estimates of the costs involved with your treatment.
Book your surgery with your specialist.
Choose your payment method and pay your cost estimate prior to admission.
After discharge, any refunds or additional costs are processed.
Every patient is different but some of the costs involved with treatment in hospital may include:
- the surgeon, surgical assistant, and anaesthetist fees
- general hospital costs (inclusive of nursing care, theatre, accommodation,and any other incidentals)
- blood tests and diagnostic imaging (x-rays and scans).
You may need to request separate estimates for each of these costs, and make separate payments.
If you hold a valid Medicare card, you may also be entitled to claim some money back. Your specialist and the hospital admissions team will advise before treatment if you are eligible to claim.
There may be some circumstances where the cost of your treatment and care is different to the amount you were estimated and paid upfront prior to admission. This could occur if your needs change during surgery or if you require additional or less time in hospital to recover.
We will outline all expected and potential costs prior to admission. Any additional costs will be discussed with you, including the reasons these costs were incurred and the options for payment. Any adjustments or refunds will be processed after your discharge.
Many specialist doctors offer a self-funding option for patients who don't have health insurance, but it is best to confirm this when you make your initial appointment with your doctor.
For a full list of our specialist doctors visit our Find A Specialist online service.
You may be eligible to pay using:
- A Patient Funding Platform that can cover medical fees from $2,000 - $50,000, including doctor and specialist, anaesthetist, hospital, after-care and pharmaceutical fees.
- Interest and limits apply. TLC will discuss eligibility based on employment and Centrelink status. Insured and self-funded patients may apply.
- For further information and to get started, visit TLC.