Our maternity services
Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) precautions
We ask that our patients have a two visitors at a time.
Women may have two birthing partners in the birth suite, who can accompany the mother and baby to the maternity ward. Normal visitor restrictions apply thereafter.
If you are planning on visiting and you are feeling at all unwell, please reconsider your visit to help protect the more vulnerable in our facilities.
This decision has been made in the best interests of you, your family, all our patients and caregivers.
Thank you in advance for your support of this.
Maternity tours and parent education classes
Maternity ward tours and face to face parent education classes have been cancelled to minimise visitors and large gatherings at our hospitals to help keep our patients safe. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
You can take a virtual tour of the Birth Suite and Ward.
We are pleased to provide online alternatives for our mums-to-be. Antenatal classes are provided by our online platform, Webex, which is a safe, stable online platform used to deliver all online programs.
Classes are recorded from the hospital with our St Mary maternity ward midwives, and cover signs of labour, progress of labour, birth (vaginal and CS) and the immediate postnatal period.
Two breastfeeding classes are also held per month.
Classes are free, and all booked in patients will receive an email one to two months prior to their estimated due date, with the links to each class and instructions on how join.
Our antenatal information can to help prepare you for labour, birth and early parenthood. View our range of resources exclusively for our maternity patients to help support your pregnancy journey and beyond.
Please read our latest advice about what to do if you have an upcoming admission or want to visit someone in hospital before coming to our hospital.
If you have a question about our maternity services, please contact us.
You'll receive professional and friendly support in modern spacious facilities to make your hospital stay as comfortable as possible.
Key maternity services
- Qualified, highly dedicated midwives and nurses - helping you gain the skills and knowledge you need to confidently care for your new baby.
- Parent education classes across a range of topics - covering your pregnancy, baby’s birth, and beyond, as you transition into early parenthood.
- Breastfeeding and lactation support services - including breastfeeding education classes and specialist lactation consultants.
- Mental health support through St John of God Raphael Services – offering free support to parents and families affected by anxiety or depression during pregnancy and in the first few years following childbirth.
- Access and referrals to a range of other support services – such as paediatric consultants, neonatal unit, physiotherapists, child health nurses, GP liaison, psychological and parenting support services.
See our maternity ward and birthing suits with our virtual tour.
Room serviceParents having their baby at Murdoch from mid-year will be amongst the first to enjoy our new Hospital-wide room service offering.
You may be interested in