Moort Boodjari Mia
Our Moort Boodjari Mia service delivers a community based perinatal (antenatal and postnatal) service for the Aboriginal community.
Working in partnership with St John of God Midland Public Hospital, Moort Boodjari Mia helps women to achieve good health outcomes for themselves and their baby.
The service also provides education on pregnancy, health and parenting in a culturally appropriate manner.
About the program
Moort Boodjari Mia aims to improve the pregnancy journey for Aboriginal women and their families and provide support to reduce any risk factors such as smoking and other substance use.
We work with family members whenever possible as we know mothers, grandmothers and aunties have an important role in caring for pregnant women in Aboriginal culture. Children are often raised by the whole family rather than a single carer and our approach supports this practice.
Our service is provided predominantly by Aboriginal caregivers, who have an intimate understanding of Aboriginal culture and the local community. Our non-Aboriginal midwives work with Aboriginal staff to ensure cultural safety and security for all our clients.
- A culturally safe, secure and confidential pregnancy service
- Personalised antenatal and postnatal clinical care in the community
- Development of strong links with your birthing hospital including St John of God Midland Public Hospital
- Transport to some appointments
- Support for parents in caring for their newborn baby
- Individual and group hands-on parenting workshops and education sessions
- Drop in clinics with no appointment required
- Referrals to other services
Each woman is seen at St John of God Midland Public Hospital by a midwife and obstetrician and may give birth there.
We take a holistic approach to health care and help address social factors by providing:
- support for child protection issues including working with the Department of Child Protection and Family Support
- support in accessing accommodation
- assistance completing Centrelink forms
- transport and support to meetings as required.
- St John of God Midland Public Hospital – ground floor (Whadjuk Room), 1 Clayton Road, Midland
No appointment is needed weekdays and free antenatal clinics appointments are available by appointment.
For more information call 0406 880 142.