- Consumer engagement
Consumer and community engagement
Community and Consumer Advisory Council
Our Community and Consumer Advisory Council forms part of our commitment to deliver excellent health care.
The Council provides a forum for community input into the provision of our services and activities.
Its role is to represent a consumer voice and enhance the patient experience at the hospital by providing input into our service delivery and planning.
Council members have a variety of backgrounds and experience. Many are heavily involved in the community, including representation on other boards, councils and committees.
Mental Health Consumer and Carer Advisory Group
We are currently seeking members for a new mental health Consumer and Carer Advisory Group (CCAG), as part of our commitment to partner with patients, carers and the community in regards to mental health care.
The CCAG will provide a voice for mental health consumers and carers and provide feedback into the planning, design, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of our mental health services.
We are seeking consumers and carers who are passionate about mental health care to join the CCAG. They need to have experienced mental illness firsthand, either as an individual or as a carer, and be recovery orientated and focussed on enhancing the needs of consumers and carers.
To express interest to apply for the Mental Health Consumer Advisory Group, please complete and submit the following information by Tuesday, 23 April 2019.
Alternatively you can request a copy of the application form via firstname.lastname@example.org.
The role of CCAG members:
- Advocate for service delivery that meets the needs of SJG Midland Public Hospital’s Mental Health Services consumers and carers.
- Act as a liaison between consumers and carers and hospital executive team.
- Focus on recovery-orientated care to enhance outcomes for mental health inpatients.
- Work to reduce the stigma and discrimination of mental health issues by offering a voice which advocates for mental health best practice.
- Advocate for the introduction of new mental health services and initiatives for consumers and carers at the hospital and contribute to their planning.
- Contribute to mental health consumer and carer information publications at the hospital.
- Network to keep up to date with the best community services available to consumers and carers.
- Continually search for ways to improve the CCAG.
Essential criteria for a CCAG member:
- A consumer with a lived experience of mental health issues who has experienced mental health services at our hospital.
- Someone with a mental illness or mental health problem who has experience a mental health service at another facility.
- A carer for someone with a mental illness.
- Some who has recovered both physically and emotionally from their own mental health experience and treatment.
- Be six months post discharge from hospital or have a clearance from a treating doctor that they are ready to support others with mental health issues.
- A desire to support other people who have a lived experience of mental health.
- Capacity to attend monthly meetings and engage in other hospital activities.
- Be passionate about recovery orientated mental health care.
- Have the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Be supportive and non-judgemental of others.
- Have respect for and be mindful of an individual’s values and background.
- Be honest, compassionate and empathetic.
- Have the ability to work well in a team and keep consumers and carers at the centre of the discussion.
- Enhance the effectiveness of the CCAG by understanding the best approaches to consumer and carer participation in mental health care.
- Enjoy making a difference to consumers and carers at SJG Midland Public Hospital.