- Our services
- Rehabilitation services
- Parkinson's disease
- Emergency Department
- Medical and surgical
- Allied health
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Chronic pain management
- Exercise physiology
- Falls prevention and balance
- Inpatient rehabilitation
- Neurological rehabilitation
- Occupational therapy
- Oncology rehabilitation
- Orthopaedic rehabilitation
- Outpatient rehabilitation
- Parkinson's disease
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Speech pathology
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Community and youth
- Healthcare at Home
Parkinson’s disease affects movement, speech, memory and sleep and can have a significant impact on your life.
About Parkinson’s and its symptoms
Parkinson’s disease is a progressive neurodegenerative disease, which directly affects your motor skills and movement. However, Parkinson’s can affect more than just the physical aspects of your life and can also impact your thinking, memory, speech and basic day to day living.
Our specialist team are highly experienced in caring for people with the disease and work closely with you to manage your symptoms.
Symptoms of Parkinson’s can include:
- body tremors
- muscle rigidity and stiffness
- slowness of movement
- poor balance and falls
- poor coordination
- involuntary movements
- cognitive changes such as memory concerns
- mood changes (anxiety and depression)
- speech and voice changes
- swallowing difficulty
Parkinson’s symptoms, can sometimes lead to:
- difficulty managing daily activities and routines
- difficulty walking places and moving around at home
- anxiety and depression
Our Pastoral Services team are available to support you during your inpatient stay. If you require further emotional or mental health support, St John of God Langmore Centre offers specialist inpatient and outpatient care locally in Berwick.
- Help you better manage your symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Improve your quality of life.
- Help you maintain your independence and wellbeing.
- Educate you and your family on Parkinson’s and your best treatment options.
- Offer support tools to help you navigate your thoughts and feelings.
Our treatment and services
At St John of God Frankston Rehabilitation Hospital you are cared for by our multi-disciplinary team, including neurology specialists, rehabilitation specialists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, psychologists, pastoral practitioners and specialised movement disorder nurses. You’ll receive professional and friendly support in our modern spacious facilities.