Due to state safety restrictions, information on this page may be subject to change. Please see our COVID-19 information for the latest details and how you may be affected.
We hope to see parents experience as much confidence and joy as they can – from your pregnancy, baby’s birth, and beyond, as you transition into parenthood. That’s why we offer comprehensive parent education services.
What to expect
We offer relaxed, informal classes hosted by experienced midwives, providing a safe environment to learn, share and ask questions. Some classes may involve other health professionals qualified to speak on a particular topic.
Information is presented on many different aspects of pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and early parenting.
Examples of parent education topics
- Planning for a baby
- Looking after yourself
- Preparing dads and partners
- SIDS safe sleeping
- Safe wrapping and swaddling
- When to come to hospital and what to bring
- The stages of labour
- Vaginal and caesarean births
- Relaxation and breathing awareness
- Pain relief options
- The role of a support person
- Maternity unit tour
- Attachment and positioning techniques
- Following your baby’s cues such as smacking lips and sucking on hands
- Expressing and storing breast milk
- Breastfeeding support services
- Care of mother and baby after birth
- Normal newborn behaviours
- Baby sleep cycles
- Settling your baby
- Following your baby’s cues
- Early brain development
- Safety awareness for your baby
- Parenting support services
Please note, your class may have a charge, be sure to speak with your private health fund before attending. Some funds will cover this cost for you.
Maternity unit tours
Free maternity unit tours are available at our hospital and will help you to become familiar with all the facilities and services that are available.
You may be interested in