A pre-pregnancy visit to your GP will allow you to identify particular issues which may impact your pregnancy health, as well as allowing them to get to know your preferences for pregnancy and birth care.
To help you prepare for your appointment, here is a list of items your GP will need:
Your medical history - specifically conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, anxiety, depression or epilepsy.
- Your family medical history including any inherited genetic diseases.
- Your partner’s medical history and any genetic conditions in their family.
- Information or documentation about previous pregnancies.
- Medications and supplements you are taking.
- Vaccination history.
- Menstrual Cycle including length and regularity.
- Occupation and social history.
- Lifestyle factors including: alcohol consumption, smoking, diet and exercise.
As well as this list, your GP will want to address any particular concerns you have about pregnancy, birth or parenting, to best assist you in your preparation.