A step-by-step approach to addiction recovery
2 Feb 2021
Recovery from addiction – whether substance use, alcohol, gambling, or behavioural – is a step-by-step process. Our care puts you at the centre of our service and is focused on providing you the support, knowledge and skills you need to achieve your recovery goals.
Our three-week inpatient program takes an evidence-based systematic approach in supporting your skills development. You and your care team address issues identified at each stage of your recovery and move onto the next stage.
We know you may not completely resolve all your issues before moving forward, however the goal is to support and develop your skills in order to improve your overall functioning. As you progress through the course, your wellness will continue to improve as you practice your new recovery strategies.
St John of God Burwood Hospital inpatient addiction program
During your three-week inpatient stay you will learn about your addiction and develop the skills you need to achieve your goals towards recovery.
What to expect – Week 1
Your first achievements will include:
- Starting the alcohol and other drug therapy program
- Engaging in a safe and manageable withdrawal/detox, if that is relevant to you
- Developing an understanding of your habit and cravings
- Actively participating in developing your individualised care plan by setting personal goals for recovery, supported by the multidisciplinary team.
What to expect – Week 2
During you middle week of your stay, your achievements will include:
- Beginning the process of coming to terms with your addiction and the life changes you will need to make
- Acquiring skills to manage the emotional distress associated with your addiction
- Learning strategies to manage your emotions around your sobriety
What to expect – Week 3
In your final week in our program, you will:
- Develop a recovery tripod and wellbeing plan
- Complete a mental health recovery and discharge plan
After you have completed our three-week drug, alcohol and addictive behaviour course you may benefit from continuing your recovery through our 12-week outpatient program. This program supports your recovery and reinforces your skills as you return home and to your everyday activities.
You may be interested in