Negotiating stairs after orthopaedic surgery
Our Physiotherapist Toby Vague explains the best way to tackle stairs after surgery – remember only do these tasks once your physiotherapist has given you the green light.
Importantly, when you first take the stairs make sure you have a walking stick or crutches to aid you. You should be comfortable using these aids before you negotiate getting up or down stairs.
- Step up with your good leg
- Then follow with your operated leg
- Then place the stick or crutch on the same step as your legs
- Put your stick or crutches down first
- Followed by your sore leg
- Then your good leg
Providing exceptional orthopaedic services
Find your nearest St John of God Health Care hospital where we provide orthopaedic surgery by browsing our hospitals below.
You may be interested in...