Our maternity services
Key maternity services
- Qualified, highly dedicated midwives and nurses - helping you gain the skills and knowledge you need to confidently care for your new baby.
- Parent education classes across a range of topics - covering your pregnancy, baby’s birth, and beyond, as you transition into early parenthood.
- Breastfeeding and lactation support services - including breastfeeding education classes and specialist lactation consultants.
- Mental health support through St John of God Raphael Services – offering free support to parents and families affected by anxiety or depression during pregnancy and in the first few years following childbirth.
- Access and referrals to a range of other support services – such as paediatric consultants, neonatal unit, physiotherapists, child health nurses, GP liaison, psychological and parenting support services.
Our new hospital which is expected to open in late 2017 includes a brand new maternity unit offering private rooms and fresh and light-filled facilities for mums. The new 22-bed ward features private rooms, built-in sofa beds for parents, access to baby bathing and change faiclities and ensuite bathrooms.
Find out more about the new unit.
Please note, the existing unit at our Gibb Street hospital will continue operating as normal while construction of the new hospital is underway.
Pregnancy information sessions
We hold regular free pregnancy information sessions for couple who are considering starting a family or in the early stages of pregnancy.
It is an opportunity for you and your family to meet our midwives and experience the facilities and services you can enjoy.
Pregnancy information sessions typically include:
- obstetrician and midwife discussion to answer all your questions
- tour of our maternity unit and birth suites
- physiotherapy advice
- nutrition advice
- finance advice
- gift bag and refreshments.
Sessions are usually the first Sunday of every month at 2.00pm.
Upcoming 2017 dates
- Sunday, 5 February 2017
- Sunday, 5 March 2017
- Sunday, 2 April 2017
- Sunday, 7 May 2017
- Sunday, 4 June 2017
- Sunday, 2 July 2017
- Sunday, 6 August 2017
- Sunday, 10 September 2017
- Sunday, 1 October 2017
- Sunday, 5 November 2017
- Sunday, 3 December 2017.
Guided maternity tours
We also offer weekly guided tours run by our maternity midwives to provide you an opportunity to see our maternity service and discuss any questions you may have as expectant parents.
Tours are run twice a week.
- Tuesday nights at 8.00pm
- Sunday afternoons at 1.30pm
If you would like to confirm your attendance at one of these events please contact our St John of God Berwick Hospital midwives:
Tel: (03) 9709 1400
You may be interested in