Due to state safety restrictions, information on this page may be subject to change. Please see our COVID-19 information for the latest details and how you may be affected.
Parents often need a wide range of support and guidance when it comes to preparing for the arrival of their new baby, particularly if it is their first.
What to expect
Our parent education classes cover many aspects of pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and early parenting. These relaxed, informal classes hosted by experienced midwives offer you a safe environment to learn, share and ask questions. Some classes may involve other health professionals qualified to speak on a particular topic.
Our classes are run as two separate workshops, part A and part B, and you can choose to either attend one or both.
The classes follow a fortnightly rotation on Saturdays (9am to 12pm) and Tuesdays (5pm to 8pm) and cover the following topics:
Part A: Labour and birth class
- What to expect over the last weeks of the pregnancy
- What is labour/how to know that you are in labour
- The different stages of labour
- What is the process of care when admitted to the FBU in labour
- The importance of active labour
- Pain relief, both natural and medical options
- The role of the support person
- What to bring to the hospital/hospital bag
- Induction of labour
- Elective and non-elective C section
Part B: The postnatal time period (also includes a 10-minute maternity tour)
- Recovery post birth
- Routine hospital care for mum and baby – what to expect during your hospital stay
- Length of stay
- Pain relief post birth
- Consent to care for baby: Immunisations, vitamin K, hearing screening test, newborn screening test
- Creating a safe sleeping and home environment for a newborn
- Bathing, nappy changing, dressing and swaddling your newborn – interactive activity stations using dolls, mental health, emotions, communication, and wellbeing of new parents
- Taking baby home and community support
- Child health nurse
If you can’t make our face-to-face classes, we also run a monthly parenting class via Zoom on Saturdays from 9.00am to 12.30pm which condenses part A and part B:
- 9.00am to 10.30am: Labour and birth
- 10.40am to 11.20am: Elective and non-elective C section
- 11.30am to 12.30pm: Postnatal
To find out available dates and book into a class, please call our Ward Clerk on (08) 9370 9420.
Our free maternity tours provide you with the opportunity to see our facilities and meet some of the midwives who provide exceptional maternity care for you and your baby throughout pregnancy, birth and the early stages of parenthood.
When: Every Saturday afternoon starting at 12:30pm
Meeting location: Hospital main reception off Thirlmere Road
Fill in your details below and a maternity caregiver will contact you to confirm your place on a upcoming tour. Tours will be confirmed a week in advance.
Please note: We are currently minimising visitors and large gatherings at our hospitals to help keep our patients safe. Tours can only accommodate two people per party and participates can expected to be health screened prior to the tour.
In the meantime, to see a virtual tour of our Family Birthing Unit, follow these steps:
- Head to our Instagram page
- Under highlights up the top, click on ‘Ward Tour’ and enjoy an online tour
You may be interested in