St John of God Subiaco Hospital creates awareness during DonateLife Week
St John of God Subiaco Hospital is proud to announce its support of DonateLife Week, an important initiative aimed at raising awareness about organ and tissue donation.
10 Jul 2023
DonateLife Week is taking place from Sunday 23 July to Sunday 30 July. The hospital is dedicated to supporting this lifesaving cause and encourages individuals to have open conversations with their loved ones regarding organ donation registration.
Organ donation has the power to transform lives, yet discussions about an individual’s wishes to donate often remain unspoken. By shedding light on the importance of registration and open communication, we hope to increase the number of registered donors and ultimately save more lives.
About organ and tissue donation
- DonateLife Week is Australia’s major public awareness campaign to encourage more Australians to sign up and support organ and tissue donation.
- We know 80% of Australians aged 16+ support organ and tissue donation – yet only seven million are actually registered. The number should be closer to 16 million.
- When it comes to those aged 16-24, only around one in 10 are registered.
- There are currently around 1,800 people on the organ waitlist who need Australia’s help. This includes around 70 people waiting for a life-saving heart and 1,450 people waiting for a kidney.
- Transplant recipients come from different backgrounds, and experience different health issues, but they’re united in their gratitude for donors and their families.
- Don’t forget to tell your family you want to be a donor - someone’s life may depend on it.
- Your family will always be asked to support your decision before organ donation goes ahead. They are much more likely to agree if they know you want to be a donor.
- One organ donor can save the lives of up to seven people and change the lives of many more through eye and tissue donation.
DonateLife Week at St John of God Subiaco Hospital
During DonateLife Week, St John of God Subiaco Hospital will be hosting a variety of activities to raise awareness including:
- A DonateLife stand in main reception, featuring donation information for members of the hospital community.
- A social media campaign throughout the week to engage with a wider audience.
- DonateLife Week branded digital screens to spread the message within the hospital.
- An educational session led by DonateLife Clinical Nurse Specialist Organ and Tissue Donation Linda Thomas, aimed at nursing staff across the entire hospital.
- Hospital volunteers will proudly wear DonateLife t-shirts and caps to show their support and raise awareness.
- Caregivers from Ward 35, Ivy Suite, Wards 71, and 72 will wear pink throughout the week to promote awareness.
- An article highlighting DonateLife Week and its significance will be featured in the hospital's bimonthly Subiaco News publication for caregivers.
- Hospital café caregivers will place DonateLife stickers on takeaway coffee cups.
- The hospital will light up one of their chandelier lights with the dragon fruit colour of DonateLife.
If you are willing to one day save lives by becoming an organ and tissue donor, please register and discuss your decision with your family and friends.
If you would like more information, please visit donatelife.gov.au