The original Hawkesbury Hospital was built in 1820, and remains on the original site today and is one of the oldest buildings in Australia.
Hawkesbury District Health Service
The original Hawkesbury Hospital was erected as barracka for convict workmen in 1820. These barracks were converted into a convict hospital in 1823. When transportation of convicts ceased in 1841, the convict hospital closed. In 1955, construction began on a new facility, Hawkesbury Hospital, which proudly provided services for more than 30 years.
In 1989, planning for a new 150-bed hospital commenced to replace the ageing facility. In late 1993, the NSW Department of Health called for expressions of interest to build and run the new hospital. Catholic Healthcare NSW and ACT was awarded the contract in 1994.
Construction began in February 1995 and the site was handed over to Catholic Healthcare at the beginning of June 1996. The new facility, Hawkesbury District Health Service, accepted its first patients on 7th August 1996, when the staff and patients transferred from the old hospital site in a single day.
In 2015 Catholic Healthcare reached agreement with St John of God Health Care to transfer the ownership and management of Hawkesbury District Health Service. The transfer took place on November 4th 2015.
Community Health Services
The Community Health Programme commenced in 1973. It was developed to provide a coordinated, multidisciplinary approach to community health services. In 1975, a purpose built health centre was opened at March Street and in 1976 it was extended.
An increase in demand, and limitations at the current March Street site, led to the Health Centre relocating to Park Mall at Richmond.
As the services develop, the focus of community health is unchanged. The continued aim is to provide a horizontal and seamless service linking hospital and community services more effectively and efficiently, promoting and protecting the health of the people in the Hawkesbury area.