Pastoral Supervised Immersion Experience
Experience pastoral practice in a hospital setting with St John of God Health Care.
What we offer
The Pastoral Supervised Immersion Experience offers students the opportunity to:
- experience the depth and diversity of pastoral ministry in a Catholic health care setting
- develop pastoral awareness and spiritual assessment skills
- engage in reflective practice to support skill development and pastoral capabilities
- demonstrate theological reflection in response to immersion experience.
This program consists of 50 hours of supervised immersion in pastoral ministry at a St John of God Health Care division. The hours are completed in a minimum of four consecutive weeks and a maximum of up to eight weeks. Each student is assigned a supervisor/preceptor to guide them through the program. Students also receive a personal reflective journal from St John of God Health Care.
The modules covered in the program cover all aspects of the St John of God Health Care pastoral capability framework, and includes:
- Leading the Mission – immersion program, orientation and pastoral care
- Pastoral care in a Catholic hospital – pastoral relationships, developing pastoral identity and observation and engagement in hospital waiting areas
- Pastoral practice in a hospital setting
- Ritual and liturgy – sacraments in a Catholic hospital, rituals in pastoral care
- Bereavement – grief and loss in pastoral care.
Participation in the program is conditional upon:
- a successful interview
- a copy a current Police Clearance and Work with Children Check (for non St John of God Health Care students)
- completion of Student Undertaking Form
- fulfilling immunisation and health screening requirements
- payment of scheduled fee (not applicable for St John of God Health Care caregivers)
- the program fees are $800.
Expressions of interest
Please complete an expression of interest to apply to this program. Should your application be successful you will be offered an interview.