Nursing and midwifery research at Subiaco
We encourage nurses and midwives to investigate and trial new processes which could benefit patient care. Our projects cover multiple specialties including maternity, oncology, preoperative care and general nursing care.
- We are able to more effectively improve patient outcomes and experiences through our evidence-based approach to nursing and midwifery care.
- Our research contributes to our hospital’s strong research culture and builds research capacity in our clinical staff.
- Improving outcomes for patients, their families and caregivers, by supporting nursing and midwifery research projects across St John of God Subiaco Hospital.
- Supporting an active culture of nursing and midwifery research within the hospital.
- Enabling clinical nurses and midwives to initiate and conduct research projects across specialties such as maternity, oncology and preoperative care.
- Sharing our research findings, which we do by presenting at external conferences, by hosting our own annual Nursing and Midwifery Research Symposium, and through journal publications.
Cooper, A. L., Brown, J. A., Salathiel, J. & Gollner, S. (in press). An intervention to improve patient understanding and use of preoperative chlorhexidine washes. Infection, Disease and Health.
Cooper, A. L., Brown, J.A., Eccles, S. and O’Connor, T. (in press). Improving the clinical skills and knowledge of Midwives and Nurses caring for late preterm neonates in a postnatal ward setting. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing.
Brown, J., Refeld, G., & Cooper, A. (2018). Timing and mode of breast care nurse consultation from the patient's perspective. Oncology Nursing Forum, 45(3), 389. doi:10.1188/18.ONF.389-398
Cooper, A. L., & Brown, J. A. (2018). Journal clubs: Engaging clinical nurses and midwives in research. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 49(3), 141-144. doi:10.3928/00220124-20180219-09
Wong, K., Cooper, A. L., Brown, J. A., Boyd, L., & Levinson, M. (2018). The prevalence of peripheral intravenous cannulae and pattern of use: A point prevalence in a private hospital setting. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 27(1-2), e363-e367. doi:10.1111/jocn.13961
Cooper, A. L., & Brown, J. A. (2017). Maximising nurses' and midwives' response rates to surveys. Nurse Researcher, 25(3), 31-35. doi:10.7748/nr.2017.e1494.
Cooper, A. L., Brown, J. A., Salathiel, J., Gollner, S., Childs, F., Boucher, E., . . . Timmings, F. (2017). Exploring patient experience and understanding of Chlorhexidine Gluconate preoperative washes: A cross-sectional survey. Infection, Disease & Health. doi:10.1016/j.idh.2017.02.002
Cooper, A. L., Kelly, C. M., & Brown, J. A. (2017). Exploring the patient experience of living with a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC): A pilot study. The Australian Journal of Cancer Nursing, 18, 10 - 14.
You may be interested in