Our maternity options
Key maternity services
No matter which maternity option you choose, at St John of God Geelong Hospital we give you, your baby and your family the support and care you need and expect.
- Midwives and nurses who are qualified and highly experienced to help you learn the skills and provide the information you need to care for your newborn baby, including breastfeeding and lactation support.
- Room service is now available to our maternity patients and partner or support person when staying overnight in the maternity ward.
- Parent education opportunities to help you know what to expect during pregnancy, birth and into the early stages of parenting.
- Free community-based mental health support through St John of God Raphael Services for you and your partner.
- Access and referrals to additional support including paediatric consultants, physiotherapists, child health nurses, and parenting support.
You can download our maternity guide which provides more details to help and support you through your journey.
Your choice of private obstetrician
Choosing your own private obstetrician means you are guaranteed continuity of care. You will have the same obstetrician who provides a dedicated maternity care experience throughout pregnancy, labour and postnatally at their private consulting rooms.
It is important that you have confidence in your chosen obstetrician and that you feel comfortable to raise any concerns and discuss your preferences surrounding your pregnancy and delivery.
Your obstetrician attends the birth and provides follow up care during your stay at St John of God Geelong Hospital as well as postnatal follow ups appointments in their consulting rooms.
During your pregnancy, typically you see your chosen obstetrician:
- monthly, until approximately 28 weeks
- every two weeks, until 36 weeks; and then
- weekly, until the birth of your baby.
Your private health insurance will fund the majority of your costs. Out-of-pocket costs will depend on your obstetrician. You can call obstetrician rooms for an outline their costs.
For many families, we understand that costs associated with private maternity care can affect their pregnancy care decision.
Our Bundle maternity package offers expecting families access to high quality maternity care and support from an experienced team of midwives and obstetricians at an affordable price of $990.*
Our Bundle package is based on a shared-care approach from our obstetricians and midwives, rather than one single obstetrician. You will meet with the Bundle obstetrician on duty and a midwife at all of your antenatal appointments and at the birth. This model of care allows us to keep our fees as low as possible for you.
When choosing Bundle, you will still receive the same premium hospital experience you expect as a private hospital patient, including a private room where your partner can stay with you at no extra cost and a longer hospital stay.
Bundle gives you all the care and nurturing you expect, for less:
- a shared care approach from our obstetricians and midwives
- your antenatal appointments at the Bundle clinic with the on-duty obstetrician and midwife
- bulk billed blood tests
- pregnancy education classes to prepare you for your birth
- vaginal or caesarean birth
- stay three to four days in a private room, your partner can stay with you at no cost
- post birth support - with midwives, lactation consultant and physiotherapy
- a midwife follow up appointment three weeks after birth to discuss how you are going at home.
- one up-front $990* pregnancy and management fee
*$990 out-of-pocket fees: Private health insurance with obstetric cover and Medicare required. Contact your insurer regarding excess or co-payments. Additional charges may apply depending on your private health fund, your pregnancy and birth needs, including anaesthetist and paediatrician fees if required. Scans and genetic screening costs may also vary depending on your needs and choice of provider. These costs will be discussed at your first consultation or you can find out more by calling (03) 5215 8790.
Am I eligible for Bundle?
You may be eligible for Bundle if you:
- are pregnant (up to 36 weeks’)
- are under 35 years of age
- have a low-risk pregnancy (as assessed by your GP)
- have private health insurance with obstetric cover
No Medicare cover? That’s ok
If you have health insurance that includes private maternity cover, but you are not eligible for Medicare, you are certainly welcome to access the Bundle service. Please contact us to discuss how we can support your antenatal care, even if you are well-advanced in your pregnancy.
Not all pregnancies are the same and you may require or want an extra level of care. Medium to high-risk pregnancies need an additional level of care and are best managed by a dedicated consultant obstetrician.
If our Bundle option is not suitable for you, consider choosing your private obstetrician. St John of God Geelong Hospital’s experienced consultant obstetricians can lead your care through pregnancy, birth and beyond.
When you first find out you are pregnant, ask your GP to check your eligibility and provide you with a referral to Bundle at St John of God Geelong Hospital (limited availability).
Alternatively, contact us directly for more information:
Submit an enquiry form:
You may be interested in