10 benefits of breastfeeding your baby
We often hear the phrase ‘breast is best’ for new babies. But we also know that breast feeding isn’t as simple as it first sounds.
Perseverance when you are starting breastfeeding is important and don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Breastfeeding benefits for babies
The healthy stuff:
- New babies easily digest breast milk and it is a natural progression from being inside the womb
- Babies tend to have less abdominal discomfort when drinking breastmilk
- The milk is ready on demand and at the correct temperature
- Protection against allergies such as eczema and asthma
- Live factors in breast milk protect against respiratory, intestinal and middle ear infections
- Your baby has more control of food intake.
- Better facial muscle and mouth development
- Reduced incidence of diabetes and some cancers
- Brain and nervous system development is optimal – particularly if you breastfeed your baby for 12 months or longer.
- Mother and baby contact and bonding increases through close skin and eye contact
If you have any breastfeeding concerns before or after your pregnancy, speak to your midwife or obstetrician who can recommend tips and resources to help you feel more confident breastfeeding.
Maternity services provided by